A Queensland teenager has walked free in Bali after allegedly punching a security guard outside a fast food restaurant landed him behind bars.

He has apologised, saying he is “filled with self-disgust” over his behaviour.

Bouncer Adni Junus Liu needed stitches for a severe gash, after allegedly being punched twice in the head by Zac William Whiting, 18, from Queensland, outside a Kuta Burger King on Friday morning.

Schapelle Corby’s former security consultant John McLeod issued a statement on Whiting’s behalf on Monday, saying his client was “young and has made a silly mistake”.

RELATED: Bali arrest: Teen Zac William Whiting cries in court

“Zac is struggling with the circumstances he is in,” the statement read.

“He has reflected on his actions of early Friday morning and is filled with self-disgust by his behaviour as well as by his self-inflicted situation.

“He is just a kid who has made a huge mistake…and is very remorseful for his night on the drink.”

Mr McLeod said Whiting, who was reportedly in Bali for schoolies celebrations, has negotiated a peace agreement with Mr Liu.

The peace agreement – which saw Whiting pay Mr Liu $2,000 in compensation – was the reason behind the teen’s release from custody.

“He genuinely and wholeheartedly wishes to apologise to Mr Liu,” Mr McLeod said while the two were still in talks.

“He is embarrassed and ashamed of his behaviour and wants to apologise to the Indonesian people for disrespecting their culture and laws.”

At the time of the alleged assault, one of Mr Whiting’s friends was demanding to see security footage from inside the fast food chain after their mobile phone went missing.

Mr Liu told 7News on the weekend he was outside the Burger King when Whiting and his friends approached him.

“They challenged me to a fight. I didn’t give any response. I just tried to push them out. I tried to talk to them politely. I ask them to forgive me,” he said.

The group left before returning a short time later and allegedly attacked him.

Whiting didn’t stick around after Mr Liu was assaulted, but was later arrested at his hotel.

The 18-year-old “toolie” was being held on suspicion of assault, which carries a maximum sentence of two years and eight months.

ButMr Liu reportedly told police his medical bills had been paid and said he had forgiven Whiting over the alleged attack.