Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel
Recommendation: Not Recommended
A senior member of the World Travel Blog team had nothing short of a grossly unacceptable experience on his visit on Monday 24th January 2020.
On arrival in LA, our team member called the hotel and was told he did not have a reservation with them. When discussing the inconvenience of this with the duty manager on his arrival with the booking confirmation, he was offered no apology, told that the misinformation was his fault and not that of the hotel. The manager was completely off hand with him and insisted our representative had not spoken to a hotel staff member, despite being shown phone logs to the contrary.
The situation got much worse when accessing the room, there was what looked like dried spit marks on the glass tabletop and what looked like palm or bottom prints on the glass bed side unit that housekeeping had not cleaned away. In light of the latest coronavirus outbreak, this lack of room hygiene is completely unacceptable. On the manager not availing himself, both occurrences and those shown below were immediately pointed out to the attention of a reception staff member.
As can be seen in the photo’s above, the rooms are plain, dark and uninviting. The sound transmission of occupant discussions in the next rooms was also disconcerting, not to mention having to listen to the programs on their TV.
On closer inspection of the room found there was no cleaning of the mould away from behind the window drapes…
No cleaning of previous guest hairs and grime from the base of the toilet…
No cleaning of previous guest’s grime from the shower…
No effort to clean the overspray residue of previous guest showers…
In light of documented evidence that COVID-19 virus lived on hard surfaces on Ruby Princess for up to 16 hours, its disturbing that rooms are presented to guests in such an uncleaned manner.
It’s interesting, that reviewers on Trip Advisor and Google had similar bad experiences on recent visits as you can see below:
It was such a bad experience with the duty manager, and on being exposed to unacceptable noise & appalling hygiene standards of the room, our team member did not sleep at the hotel and instead spent the night at the neighbouring Crown Plaza hotel. You will shortly read the positive review of his clean and quiet room experience that he enjoyed there. This, in stark contrast to that provided by the Sheraton who have yet to formally apologise for the experience.